Saturday, March 27, 2010

Process - Wiping

In the print lab the counters are cover in glass. Where we can roll out and lay out ink for our plates.
The ink is specific oil base etching ink. There are a wide range of colors that you can use but some them will react with the copper change it to a dull gray of that color used. So that is why you see black prints. Here I am using Vine Black ink.
I apply the ink with a square piece of mat board. Forcing the ink into the etched lines. After applying the ink over the entire surface of the copper I being to wipe the surface of the copper leaving ink in the recesses of the etched lines.To wipe the plate a type cloth called a Tarletan.
After wiping the copper plate almost completely with the Tarletan I finish wiping the plate with the palm of my hand. While wiping I try to keep one hand clean by using a glove. That way I won't get ink on my paper. For this particular print I had seven plates combined to make one large print
Almost all plates are inked and lined up ready for a piece of paper to be laid on top and ran through the press.

No comments: